How do I install the fins?
Step 1: Set Screws
- Using the surfboard fin key provided, loosen all the screws in the fin boxes or plugs. Do not remove the screws all the way, just enough so that the screws no longer stick into the fin slot.
Step 2: Fin Orientation
- Figure out what fin goes where !! EVERY side fin will have a slight angle pointed out when installed on the board. The writing/logo on the base of the fin also always faces out!
- Tri Fins - the center fin will be the only fin rounded on each edge and it is the same size as the side fins.
- Quad Fins - the large side fins go in the front and your smaller side/trailer fins go in the back.
- 2+1 Fins - the side fins are the small ones, usually referred to as side byte fins, while your center fin will be large and fiberglass.
Step 3: Installing the Fins
- Now that you have located where your surfboard fins go, lets get them attached to your new board.
- Futures - the back of each futures box has a latch and the front of each box has a set screw that you have already loosened. The back of each futures fin has a groove. Drop the back part of the fin into the box and push back as you lower the fin, hooking the latch on the box into the groove of the fin. Press the rest of the fin down and forward, so the whole base of the fin sits flat in the box. Once you have a nice fit, tighten the set screw down until secure, but don't over tighten! Gently wiggle each fin up and down and if it doesn't move you are ready to surf!
- FCS - these fins are very easy to install. Each plug has two slots and two screws. Every FCS fin has two heads. You have already loosened the screws in the plugs, so just drop the heads of each fin straight into the plug. Once each fin is sitting flat in the plug, tighten your set screws. Never over tighten your screws!! Gently wiggle each fin up and down and if it doesn't move you are ready to surf!
- 2+1 or Single Fin - the center fin box on your single fin or 2+1 fin system is a standard box that will fit any longboard style fin. Your side bite fins will be one of the fin systems discussed above. Unscrew the screw from the fin plate and put the screw aside with the fin plate in the forward position. The box has a long fin slot with a small notch in the middle and you will notice the fin has a small metal nob. Drop the metal nob on the fin into the notch in the fin box. The nob of the fin will slide into a groove that is built into the length of the fin box. Slide your fin to the middle of the box and lower the rest of the fin into the box. Slide the fin plate so the whole in the fin plate lines up with the hole in the base of the fin. Screw the fin screw into the plate and tighten. It is normal for the fin to be a tight fit and the fin base can sometimes stick up out of the box a little.
Do I need to be a good swimmer?
Am I too old to start surfing?
Should I start on a longboard or a shortboard?
Do I need wetsuit?
Which board should a beginner buy?
Should I bag my board?
What else do I need to go surfing?
How do I wax my board?
How do I tie the leash?
How do I install the fins?
Can I leave my board in my car?